Quilt Progress

As soon as I finished my brother’s quilt, I started on another one for my cousin.  This time I wanted to try out triangles.  She picked out the grey/yellow/green color scheme, and I got to work.  Along the way I have learned a LOT.  This quilt is still in progress, but I thought I’d share how it was going so far.

Triangle Quilt in Progress

So far I have half of the top sewn together (top right), and it was an ordeal to get me there.  I cut around 300 triangles so I had some extras to play with during the layout.  In the end, I decided on 14 down by 20 across, which meant a total of 280 triangles used.  In the middle two pictures, you can see how I laid everything out on the floor of our spare bedroom.  I had to move almost everything out, but it worked.  Once I had the layout, I carefully picked up each row in order and kept the rows separate from each other.  I also made a giant chart of every triangle and what it was.  I obviously didn’t do it well enough, though, because on the bottom row of the sewn top you can see that one of those green triangles matches up with another same fabric triangle directly above it.  I could pull it all out, but I’m not going to.  It would involve ripping the row as well as ripping several triangles.  It will bug me, but it stays.

Once I figured out how to join the triangles together, things went really well, but before that, it was several hours of sewing, ripping, and questioning what the heck I was doing.  In the bottom left picture, you can see how I put together the triangles at first.  The problem with this, of course, is that when I join the rows together, those pretty points will become blunt tops.  I had half a row done before I realized that.  (And had ripped out triangles again and again trying to get that point.)  The bottom right picture is what I actually needed.  I need that point nestled 1/4 inch in so I can have the crisp point when I joint he rows.  To get this, I actually drew in my quarter inch seam allowance on the back of each triangle.  The point where those seam allowances crossed was the recessed point I wanted.  It added a little time, but saved me a ton of grief in the long run.

Overall, I’m pretty pleased with how this quilt is coming along.  My lines are straight, my points are crisp, and everything seems to line up fairly well.  I’m excited to finish the top and get to the actual quilting.  I haven’t decided what I want to do for that yet, though.

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Quilt Progress

    • Oh thank you so much for your kind words! I did a few practice swatches with just a few triangles to “prepare,” but I really didn’t “get” it until I started the actual quilt. Once I started drawing on my seam allowances, everything fell into place.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s