My birthday was at the start of November, and my brother got me a Birchbox subscription. I got my first box about two weeks go, and I was so excited about the contents, I wanted to do a review and share with you!
- Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Repair Moisturizer (Full size $65): I’ve been looking for a moisturizer and asking all my friends on Facebook what they use and how they like it. The weather here is much drier than I am used to, and I can definitely feel just how dry my skin is. On top of that, I have just started to notice the fine lines that come with aging. I’m not worried about getting old, but I do like the idea of a moisturizer that will keep my skin healthy like younger skin. I got about 5 days worth of applications out of this sample tube (with applications both morning and night), and I did feel like my skin was less dry and felt healthier. However, I was using no moisturizer prior to this, so I don’t know if this is the right one for me, just that I should start using a moisturizer of some sort. I am hoping to get another moisturizer in another box so I can compare.
- Harvey Prince Ageless (Full size $55): I’m not much of a perfume person. When I was working in a school, I was encouraged to not wear perfumes since it could bother students with allergies. Being asthmatic, sometimes even putting perfume on myself can cause problems, so it was all too easy to agree to step away from fragrances. However, that doesn’t mean I never wear anything, but that I really only pull out a perfume bottle on special occasions. I liked the smell of Ageless. The card says that it is meant to leave you smelling youthful, and I would agree that this is a smell that is best suited for a 20-30 year old. I can’t really imagine it on someone older, though I actually think that was the intention. The smell is a soft combination of grapefruit and sandalwood. This little tester will probably last me over a year, so I will not be purchasing this any time soon.
- theBalm cosmetics Stainiac (Full size $17): This product is a combination lip gloss and blush. You can use it for either. When I saw the color in the tube, I thought to myself, “this is entirely too wild for me.” But, it turns out I was wrong. The actual color is a lot more subtle than you think it will be. It’s still pink, but not obnoxiously so. I did try it on my cheeks as well as my lips, but I tend to be naturally fairly rosy, so it didn’t work well for me as a blush. I think this is nice for casual wear, but isn’t something for a more dressy occasion. I’m not huge into make-up, but I have been thinking about adding some video content, and I should get into make-up if I am going to do that so you can see my features on video.
- suki Exfoliate Foaming Cleanser (Full size $32.95): I loved this product! I’m a huge fan of citrus smells, so right off I was excited. The smell is totally invigorating first thing in the morning. The small sample lasted me approximately a week with twice a day use. I was impressed that so little could go so far. The exfoliant was rough, but not so coarse that it felt uncomfortable. My face felt great after, and seemed to have a natural glow. I am definitely purchasing this!
- Gilchrist & Soames Spa Therapy Body Wash (Full Size $15): As you read earlier this week, soap and I have issues. Body wash, in general, has been better for me than bar soap, so I was interested in how well this would work for me. I honestly couldn’t tell a difference between this and the $3 body wash I usually buy. My skin felt like it normally does after using body wash, and the scent wasn’t something that thrilled me, though it wasn’t bad. I’ve used the sample a few times (while I was on my perfect soap sampling quest), and I haven’t used it up, but I’m in no hurry to do so either. I might throw it into my bag next time I travel, but this is not something I would purchase.
So that’s it! My first box! My next box should be shipping sometime in the middle of next week, and I can’t wait to see what’s in it! Do you subscribe to Birchbox? Do you like it? Are there any products it has introduced you to that you love?